Thursday, June 2, 2011

Summer is here!!

Whew, its 100 degrees in Tyler, Texas today!!

This past weekend John came to visit because it was Memorial Day weekend and both of us had Monday off work. We got to go on a date to Texas Roadhouse and spend time watching our new favorite show Greys Anatomy (haha. We started on Season 1 and I think we are about halfway done with season 2 now) On Sunday after church we went to the lake with a couple of my friends Emily and Andrea. What a relaxing, wonderful three day weekend!



After he left I even got to watch a movie on Netflix with Heather :) She and I started it at the same time and texted during it so it was almost the same as hanging out. I miss her...

I have been doing some summer reading. I'm almost done with my first book which is called 'House' its by Frank Peretti. He is a christian author. By reading this book you almost wouldn't believe that he is because its a horror story, pretty much. But nearing the end I can see now how he ties it back to spiritual warfare, it is really 'on the edge of your seat' good :) They made a movie in 2007 based on the book, which I am sure I will watch in the near future. After that I am going to read 'The Firm' by John Grisham. Heather recommended it, so we shall see!

My next few blogs are going to be about my study of the book of Revelation. I'm actually in the midst of studying Genesis on Wednesday evenings at church but they are on a break for the summer and won't meet again until August so I decided to go back and re-study Revelation with Pastor David Dykes. He is the pastor at my church (for anyone who doesn't know) and he posts the videos of the bible study online. This was a study he did in 2010 and I love that they're online because you can go back and listen to them whenever you'd like at your own convenience. Last night my roommate, Elizabeth and I watched and listened to the first 4 of them! They are each about 30 minutes long so that was a good 2 hours. I love that she gets as much out of it as I do. I have been in church my whole life but I honestly have learned more from Pastor Dykes than I ever did at regular church or Sunday School. In these short bible studies he dives deep into the word of God and shows you why we believe the way we do and he references back to other books of the bible as well where the same verses appear.
I hope that the notes from what I learn will teach you and make you excited about learning more about Jesus :)

The one thing I will end this with is just what we learned during the very first bible study. Revelation is not a book predicting the end times. Its not a book written to scare you or to confuse you...Revelation is actually the 'unveiling of Jesus' It's a book to show us more about Him. John was the youngest of the disciples. He was also the only one who died naturally and wasn't murdered because of his belief. They tried to kill him, even threw him in a pot of boiling oil but by the grace of God he survived and was exiled to the island of Patmos. On the island is when Jesus told him to "write down what you have seen, what is taking place now, and what is to come" Rev 1:19
In my next post I will get more into Revelation chapter one but for now, enjoy the warm weather & thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. wish i coulda gone to the lake with you all and wish you'd send some of the hot weather up here, today it barely hit 60 it was in the low 50s all day and the wind was blowing so much it was f-f-f-freeezing :) i love you and had fun with our movie date. that was a great movie.
    :)

    ReplyDelete